"The online survey of over 18,000 people in 24 countries, conducted by Ipsos Reid, shows that, even in the wake of the Copenhagen Conference, the world thinks more highly of Canada’s commitment to the environment than Canadians do. Asked if Canada is environmentally responsible in relation to other industrialized countries, eight in ten (81%) global respondents agreed, while 68% of Canadians agree – making them among the least likely to believe this."
Other key findings include:
• Canada’s reputation for caring for the environment is higher among global respondents (84%) than among Canadians (77%) themselves;
• Nine in ten (90%) global respondents agree that Canada has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world and 88% say they would like to visit Canada;
• Eight in ten (80%) global respondents say that Canadians are someone they would welcome into their home for a meal. Only 79% of Canadians say they same thing about their countrymen;
• Seven in ten (71%) global respondents think people who live in Canada are “cool”, including 92% of respondents in France;
• About half (53%) of the world’s citizens describe Canadians as “sexy”. Canadians are even more (64%) likely to think themselves sexy. Interestingly, the sex appeal of Canadians is highest in India (71%) and Saudi Arabia (70%).