Extract. Info courtesy: Connie Crosby
20 October 2009 — Joe Clark
Quote: "I walked out of Danse Danse Évolution and saw a couple of guys handing out flyers. Efficient library outreach! I thought. Nope. UNION!
I must say, the library union isn’t doing a very good job of scare mongering.
Unions are great sometimes and lousy other times, and neither of those things some other times. That’s my opinion. It’s probably your opinion. Only right-wing assholes think unions are never a good idea, and not even union stalwarts think they always are. (Be honest.)
I talked to the guy who handed me this leaflet. When I told him I write this blog, he took a quarter-step back and started treating me like I was radioactive. “Yes,” he said warily. “I have heard about it.” Well, good – you shoulda.
The leaflet makes the claim that the TPL Board “wants to… stay open to midnight with no professional librarians and many more part-time staff get rid of reference desks.” I have asked around and concluded this is wilful exaggeration, reiterated in a union blog post." Unquote.
TPL Union news update:
- The Library Board's Vision / Toronto Public Library Workers Union's Vision
- STRIKE VOTE: Toronto Public Library at a Crossroads PR-USA.net (press release) Oct 12, 2009
- Library staff votes to strike, but talks continue, Globe and Mail - Jennifer Lewington - Oct 10, 2009
- 2,400 library workers vote to walk out Toronto Sun - Oct 10
- Library workers give union strike mandate, October 09, 2009, John Spears, Toronto Star